October 30 @ 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
Saturday, October 30, 2021 • 6:30-8:30PM
31st Annual Washington Heights Spooktacular
Nighttime Trick-or-Treating Presented by Washington Heights Neighborhood Association
Start planning now so your whole family can participate this year in the 31st Annual Washington Heights Neighborhood Association Spooktacular on Saturday, October 30th, from 6:30pm to 8:30pm. This year’s Spooktacular will take place in Area 9 (55th – 60th; Lloyd to North Avenue).
ABOUT: Spooktacular is Washington Heights annual nighttime trick-or-treating event. The event rotates around the neighborhood, with a different area of the neighborhood hosting the event each year. The streets are closed within the area for a safe and fun trick-or-treating experience. Spooktacular is always held on the Saturday night prior to Halloween. Washington Heights Neighborhood Association organizes and sponsors the event and provides candy to as many as 100 households in the designated area to hand out during the event. Participating households decorate their homes and yards. Children/youth that wish to participate and trick-or-treat and receive candy need to register ahead of time to participate at any of the pre-registration events leading up to Spooktacular. Spooktacular is our largest annual event and one of the most anticipated by children and adults.
Pre-registration is Required – All participants who wish to receive candy must register prior to the event. All Registrations will be held at Vennture Brew Co. (5519 W. North Avenue).
Wednesday, October 20 • 5PM-7PM
Saturday, October 23 • 10AM-Noon
Tuesday, October 26 • 5PM-7PM
$5/child for members
$10/child for non-members
Cost: Day of Event Registration
Saturday, October 30, 5:30pm – 7:00PM: (Pocket Park/Beer Garden located at SE corner of 56th & North Avenue)
$10 for both members and non-member at Spook Central (Pocket Park at 56th & North Avenue)
Cash, check and credit card will be accepted at all registration events. Membership renewal and new membership services available at the WHNA registration tables.
Save time at registration by downloading, printing and filling out the Spooktacular Registration Form and bringing it with you:
COSTUME CONTEST (Sponsored by Rainbow Booksellers)
Saturday, October 30, 2021 at 6:15PM Sharp!
Location: (Pocket Park/Beer Garden located at SE corner of 56th & North Avenue)
Gather at “Spook Central” for the opportunity to win fabulous prizes. Be sure to be in costume if you want to be included in the judging! Age groups include: 3 & younger; 4-7 years; 8-12 years; 13-17 years; Adult and/or Group
2021 Spooktacular will be hosted by Area 9 and is located between Lloyd and North Avenue from the west side of 55th Street to the east side of 60th Street.
Attention AREA 9 Residents
All households in Area 9 (see below for Area 9 boundaries) are encouraged to decorate their homes for Spooktacular. Decorating can be simple or complex. Gather your neighbors and collaborate on a theme. Judges will be out during Spooktacular awarding the best decorated homes in Area 9. WHNA’s candy sign-up will open on October 15 for residents in Area 9. 100 candy sign up slots will be released and the first 100 households that register will receive candy to handout during Spooktacular. (The Area 9 candy sign up will be posted here, on Facebook and sent in an email on October 15.) Households that sign up to hand out candy are encouraged (but not required) to purchase additional candy to supplement the candy provided as we expect 1,000+ trick-or-treaters to participate on October 30. If you do not wish to participate in Spooktacular, please make sure your outside lights are turned off during the event on October 30 (6:30-8:30PM).
AREA 9 SPOOKTACULAR BOUNDARIES:
- North side of Lloyd from 55th to 60th Street
- South side of North Avenue from 55th to 60th Street
- West Side of 55th Street between Lloyd and North Avenue (2100 and 2200 blocks)
- East Side of 60th Street between Lloyd and North Avenue (2100 and 2200 blocks)
- 56th, 57th, 58th, 59th Streets between Lloyd and North Avenue (2100 and 2200 blocks)
- Garfield Avenue between 55th and 60th Streets
- Elliot Circle
We’re going green this year and our candy sign up can only be done online. Please share this information with your Area 9 neighbors who may not have access to a computer/internet and assist them with signing up if they wish to participate.
STREET and ALLEY CLOSURES DURING SPOOKTACULAR
On Saturday, October 30th, Area 9 streets and alleys will be closed to traffic from approximately 5PM-9PM. If you need access to your vehicle during this time frame, please move your vehicle outside the event area prior to 5:00pm. 55th Street, Lloyd, North Avenue and 60th Street will remain open throughout the event. Alleys that exit to Garfield or Elliot Circle will be closed during this time frame too.
VOLUNTEERS NEEDED FOR SPOOKTACULAR
Volunteer at Spooktacular Registrations Events:
Volunteer as a Spooktacular Security/Crossing Guard:
Volunteer to Carve a Pumpkin:
HELP KEEP EVERYONE SAFE DURING SPOOKTACULAR!
We appreciate everyone’s cooperation with making this a fun and safe event for all who participate. Please take a few moments to familiarize your family with these Spooktacular safety guidelines. Have fun and be safe!
- We will be following current city of Milwaukee and State of Wisconsin COVID protocols at the time of the event. Updates will be posted here.
- All registered participants must use this year’s Spooktacular trick-or-treat bag to receive candy.
- A parent or guardian must accompany children/youth under 18 at all times during the event.
- Bikes, skateboards and scooters are not permitted in the event area.
- Pets are not permitted in the event area or at Spook Central. We know your pets are part of the family but we don’t want them to be spooked.
- Please instruct your child(ren) if they become separated from you to go to the closest street corner and look for the security volunteer who will be wearing an orange safety vest. They will assist with reuniting families.
- Please dispose of trash properly during the event and help keep our neighborhood clean. Trash receptacles will be located at each perimeter intersection with the security volunteer.
- If driving to Spooktacular, or you live inside Area 9, please be aware that the streets and alleys will be closed to traffic from about 5:00PM to 9:00PM on Saturday, October 30. If you need access to your vehicle during that time, please park outside of the event area.
- In the event of an emergency during the event, please see a security volunteer (posted at all perimeter intersections) and they will assist you. All security volunteers will be equipped with radios and wearing orange safety vests.
- Milwaukee Police Department will be present throughout the event and available to assist if an emergency arises.
- Please call 911 for emergency situations and also notify the closest security volunteer so they can assist with the emergency.
- Alcohol, tobacco/vaping products, pets and fire arms are not permitted at our registration events and Spook Central (Pocket Park at corner of 56th & North Avenue).