- This event has passed.
October 29, 2022 @ 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
32nd ANNUAL WASHINGTON HEIGHTS SPOOKTACULAR
Saturday, October 29, 2022 • 6:30-8:30PM
Nighttime Trick-or-Treating Presented by Washington Heights Neighborhood Association
Start planning now so your whole family can participate this year in the 32nd Annual Washington Heights Neighborhood Association Spooktacular on Saturday, October 29, 2022 from 6:30PM to 8:30PM. This year’s Spooktacular will take place in Area 6 (51 st to 55 th ; Vliet Street to Washington Boulevard).
ABOUT: Spooktacular is Washington Heights annual nighttime trick-or-treating event. The event rotates around the neighborhood, with a different area of the neighborhood hosting the event each year. The streets are closed within the area for a safe and fun trick-or-treating experience. Spooktacular is always held on the Saturday night prior to Halloween. Washington Heights Neighborhood Association organizes and sponsors the event and provides candy to as many as 100 households in the designated area to hand out during the event. Participating households decorate their homes and yards. Children/youth that wish to participate and trick-or-treat and receive candy need to register ahead of time to participate at any of the pre-registration events leading up to Spooktacular. Spooktacular is our largest annual event and one of the most anticipated by children and adults.
2022 SPOOKTACULAR LOCATION
2022 Spooktacular will be hosted by Area 6 and is located between Vliet Street and Washington Boulevard from the east side of 51st Street to the east side of 55th Street (Hawley Road).
All children who wish to trick-or-treat must register ahead of time at any of the registration events. At registration each child will receive this year’s Washington Heights Spooktacular trick-or-treat bag that must be used and visible during Spooktacular to receive candy. Register ahead of time to save time and money.
2022 SPOOKTACULAR REGISTRATION EVENTS
Location: Mount Olive Lutheran Church and Christian Day School • 5327 W. Washington Boulevard,
Registration will take place inside the school in the gymnasium lobby on 10/22/22 and 10/25/22. Registration will take place outdoors in the parking lot on 10/29/22. (enter through the parking lot behind the church off 54th Street)
$5/child for current WHNA members. $10/child for non-members. Cash, check and credit card accepted at registration.
• Saturday, October 22 • 10AM-Noon
• Tuesday, October 25 • 5PM-7PM
Day of Registration:
$10/child for members and non-members on 10/29/2022. Cash, check and credit card accepted at registration.
• Saturday, October 29 • 4:30PM-7PM
Saturday, October 29 • Open from 4:30PM-7:00PM
Located in the parking lot behind Mount Olive Lutheran Church and Christian Day School (enter the parking lot from 54th Street, behind the church). Spook Central is where all the fun begins for Spooktacular. Plan to walk to the parking lot if you need to register to trick-or-treat on Saturday night, want to grab a bite to eat from the food truck, participate in the costume contest or just want to check out all the great costumes. For everyone’s safety no pets or smoking permitted at Spook Central. Additionally, Spook Central may be used throughout the event as a meeting place for you and your family members if you become separated.
Spook Central Schedule:
• 4:30PM-7:00PM Day of Spooktacular Registration at Spook Central: $10.00 per child for members and non-members. (Cash, check or credit card)
• 4:30PM-8PM Fully Loaded Food Truck serving from their truck
• 4:30PM-8PM Vennture Brew Co. serving hot and cold beverages for adult and children (hot chocolate)
• 6:15 PM COSTUME CONTEST • Sponsored by Rainbow Booksellers
Gather at Spook Central for the opportunity to win fabulous prizes. Be sure to be in costume if you want to be included in the judging. Don’t be late because the contest starts at 6:15PM sharp! All ages (children to adult) welcome, as well as themed groups.
• 6:30PM-8:30PM Trick-or-Treating – RAIN OR SHINE! Trick-or-treat will take place throughout Area 6 (see neighborhood map for boundaries).
WASHINGTON HEIGHTS PUMPKIN DISPLAY 6:30PM-8:30PM
Visit the Washington Heights carved pumpkin display for a photo opportunity and enjoy all the decorated homes throughout Area 6. This year’s pumpkin display will be located at 5303 W. Galena.
Attention AREA 6 Residents
All households in Area 6 are encouraged to decorate their homes for Spooktacular. Decorating can be simple or complex. Gather your neighbors and collaborate on a theme. Judges will be out during Spooktacular awarding the best decorated homes in Area 6. WHNA’s candy sign-up will open on October 13 for residents in Area 6. 100 candy sign up slots will be released and the first 100 households that register will receive candy to handout during Spooktacular. (The Area 6 candy sign up will be posted here, on Facebook and sent in an email on October 13.) Households that sign up to hand out candy are encouraged (but not required) to purchase additional candy to supplement the candy provided as we expect 1,200+ trick-or-treaters to participate on October 29, 2022. If you do not wish to participate in Spooktacular, please make sure your outside lights are
turned off during the event on October 29 (6:30-8:30PM).
We’re going green this year and our candy sign up can only be done online. Please share this information with your Area 6 neighbors who may not have access to a computer/internet and assist them with signing up if they wish to participate.
STREET and ALLEY CLOSURES DURING SPOOKTACULAR
On Saturday, October 29, 2022, Area 6 streets and alleys will be closed to traffic from approximately 5PM-9PM. If you need access to your vehicle during this time frame, please move your vehicle outside the event area prior to 5:00pm. 55 th Street, Washington Boulevard, and Vliet Street will remain open throughout the event. Alleys that exit to 51st, 52nd and 54th Streets will be closed during this time frame too.
VOLUNTEERS NEEDED FOR SPOOKTACULAR
We appreciate everyone’s cooperation with making this a fun and safe event for all who participate. Please take a few moments to familiarize your family with these Spooktacular safety guidelines. Have fun and be safe!
• We will be following current city of Milwaukee and State of Wisconsin COVID protocols at the time of the event. Updates will be posted here.
• All registered participants must use this year’s Spooktacular trick-or-treat bag and have it visible to receive candy.
• Please include a parent or guardian cell phone number inside each of your trick-or-treaters’ bags. It will be used to reunite anyone who becomes separated from their trick-or-treating group.
• A parent or guardian must accompany children/youth under 18 at all times during the event.
• Bikes, skateboards and scooters are not permitted in the event area.
• Pets are not permitted in the event area or at Spook Central. We know your pets are part of the family but we don’t want them to be spooked.
• Please instruct your child(ren) if they become separated from you to go to the closest street corner and look for the security volunteer who will be wearing an orange safety vest. They will assist with reuniting families.
• Please dispose of trash properly during the event and help keep our neighborhood clean.
• If driving to Spooktacular, or you live inside Area 6, please be aware that the streets and alleys will be closed to traffic from about 5:00PM to 9:00PM on Saturday, October 29, 2022. If you need access to your vehicle during that time, please park outside of the event area.
• In the event of an emergency during the event, please see a security volunteer (posted at all perimeter intersections) and they will assist you. All security volunteers will be equipped with radios and wearing orange safety vests.
• Milwaukee Police Department will be present throughout the event and available to assist if an emergency arises.
• Please call 911 for emergency situations and also notify the closest security volunteer so they can assist with the emergency.
• Alcohol, tobacco/vaping products, pets and fire arms are not permitted at our registration events and Spook Central (Pocket Park at corner of 56 th & North Avenue).
• Email: email@example.com
• Visit and follow Spooktacular on the WHNA Facebook page –
• Check back here for event updates.